歡迎來到 圓球城市 登入 | 註冊 | Help

首頁 作者專欄 新聞 市民開講 活動專區 論壇

奥神16岁天才吴冠希有NBA潜力?

在 04-25-2011, 12:39 下午 由 smallA 發表.第 2 篇回覆.
排序方式: 上一個 下一個
  •  04-24-2011, 11:09 下午 376788

奥神16岁天才吴冠希有NBA潜力?

Former Omaha North great McGee coaches Chinese team

By Max McElwain
    SPECIAL TO THE WORLD-HERALD

JISHOU, China — What is Mike McGee doing in China?

As always, the former Omaha North basketball great is winning games with lots of offense.

McGee, 51, coaches the Beijing Aoshen Olympians, who compete in a far-flung international league known as the American Basketball Association.

It's not the NBA, where McGee played for nine seasons in the 1980s and won two championship rings with the Los Angeles Lakers. But he said it's better competition than you might think.

“The quality of play in China is on the uprise,” McGee said. “We may have four or five players kind of rough, but there are a couple who could find their way to the NBA, too.”

McGee has coached in the Far East for 13 years, including a stint in Korea. His current team improved to 20-0 after a 105-94 win against the West Texas Whirlwinds last week at Jishou University in northwest Hunan Province.

His players include Jamel Staten, a former Minnesota State-Mankato star who scored 21 points against the Whirlwinds, and former Chaminade University star Chris Reaves, who had 26.

But the biggest attraction for the 2,500 fans at Jishou was the Olympians' Sun Yue, who like his coach is a former Laker.

The 6-foot-9 left-handed guard showed how in 2009 he became the second Chinese player to earn an NBA ring, handing out nine assists while shooting just six times.

McGee also has bulky 6-10 forward Wu Guanxi, another player he said has NBA potential.

“We are looking good, like last year,” McGee said. “We went 32-3 then, and that included playing some European teams.”

Chinese professional basketball has a colorful and complex history, and McGee and Sun Yue have played their part in it.

McGee became the first non-Chinese head coach in the Chinese Basketball Association when hired by the Olympians in 1998. But the team was suspended from the CBA in 2004 when Beijing refused to release Sun so he could play on the national under-20 team.

The Olympians intended to rejoin the league the following year. When negotiations broke down, the Beijing team joined the American Basketball Association for 2005-06.

The ABA, which debuted in 2000, has no connection with the American league of the same name that merged with the NBA in the 1970s.

This ABA is best described as a transitional league. It has 60 teams, but they often come and go during the season.

“The caliber of basketball here is good,” said Reaves, who played for the ABA's Los Angeles Slam last season. “I've been here eight months and I like the people and culture. And I like playing for Coach McGee.”

Staten, a 6-7 forward, also left another ABA team to play for McGee. The NCAA Division II All-American at Mankato averaged 27 points for the Minnesota Ripknees in 2007, when he recorded a rare quadruple-double in an ABA game.

Last week's game with the Whirlwinds was the first professional basketball game in the mountain city of Jishou. It was one of 12 stops on a Sino-U.S. international tour of the province.

Middle-aged and older Chinese fans sat in awe as Sun flipped passes to teammates for three assists in the opening two minutes.

As in the U.S., professional basketball doesn't come cheap.

The “VIP” tickets cost the equivalent of about $30, while seats in the rafters that cost about half that amount were still too expensive for Jishou University students, many of them rabid fans. The seats were mostly empty.

“That's too bad,” McGee said. “I look up and around the gym and I mostly see older people.”

McGee, who visited Omaha in the past year, maintains a home in Marina Del Rey, Calif. He was unaware that 34 years after his graduation from Omaha North he still holds Metro Conference scoring records — 54 points in a game, an average of 38 in a season.

“I live in Beijing 10 months out of the year,” he said. “It's an international city that I like. Russians, Chinese and others, all living together.”

TOM体育讯 北京时间2011年1月2日,奥神迎来了河北国际篮球邀请赛的第7场比赛,北京奥神与本次邀请赛的第三个对手泽西特快队进行了首场比拼。奥神以 93-81战胜对手,夺得邀请赛的七连胜。孙悦得到9分2助攻,16岁的小将吴冠希砍下28分11篮板 1盖帽 2助攻,令人欣喜。

今天的比赛是吴冠希在奥神一队的第一次亮相,第一次亮相就震惊四座,不仅数据漂亮,表现全面,也抢了球员老大的风头,掌控了这场比赛。

吴冠希今年只有16岁,已经在奥神二队打了四年。小小年纪,身高已经达到2米08。当记者问到他预测自己到底能长到多高时,吴冠希腼腆的说,“这得看自身的发展了,自己也不是特别清楚。”

•  04-25-2011, 11:28 上午 376921 in reply to 376788

• GTO_Andy is not online. Last active: 2021-11-17, 11:05 上午 GTO_Andy
    • Top 25 Contributor
      男
    • 加入於 07-13-2006
    • California
    • 籃球名人堂

Re: 奥神16岁天才吴冠希有NBA潜力?

說真的, 我看 McGee 就是在打官腔....

我建議多觀察兩年吧!

•  04-25-2011, 12:39 下午 376934 in reply to 376788

Re: 奥神16岁天才吴冠希有NBA潜力?